From a WPUniversity reader:
Optimizing page load time is a real pain! How do I speed up my site?
We definitely feel your pain.
There are a few solutions to that issue.
- Get setup with a CDN like Cloudflare (it’s free if you don’t need an SSL certificate) or MAX CDN
- Get the W3 Total Cache plugin
- Enable Page Caching
- Try minification of CSS and JS files
- Lastly you can also have W3 work with other CDN options which is strongly encouraged.
- Make sure your site has been properly and professionally coded.
- Check that your host provides you with at least 128mb of RAM. You can attempt to force WordPress to increase your ram usage by editing your wp-config file.
If you’re comfortable, you can try this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP
If you have any follow-up questions, please put them into the comment section below.
Lastly, check out this presentation by Jon Brown… he put together one of the most comprehensive slide decks on performance improvements.